Sunday, October 4, 2009

Youtube Research + Response

Fox News
This website is a Fox News article basically advertising for youtube, explaining all the positive aspects of this video website. The most interesting part of the text in my opinon, is when the author talks about how one can create their own tv show on youtube easily. Everything is in your control, when to do the show, how you want to edit the videos, what you want your show to be about, etc, "Now you, too, can be a TV producer and a TV programmer. Scheduling? That's in your hands...the capacity of YouTube would appear to be boundless"

In response to this, I feel like when I watch a show on TV in comparison to when I watch a self produced show on youtube, I don't treat them equally. I feel like when I watch something on TV I give it more attention because I get the impression that professionals produced it while on youtube I might skip around or just stop watching in the middle of it. In my own personal experience I feel like there is a well defined line between TV and youtube but I feel like in the future that line will fade as our digital life continues to grow.

Business Week
This website is about how youtube was created, two employees of pay pal wanted to share a video from a party in a simpler way, "It was January, 2005, and they couldn't figure out a good solution. Sending the clips around by e-mail was a bust: The e-mails kept getting rejected because they were so big. Posting the videos online was a headache, too. So last February the two buddies got to work in Hurley's garage, determined to design something simpler." So they came up with youtube. They thought up something that could be done in a simpler way and created it.

It seems to me that most recent technologies are made this way, someone realizes that a proccess is too complicated and they decide to do something to make it easier. Emails makeit easier to send letters, phones make it easier to talk to someone, ipods make it easier to listen to music on the go. Technology simply makes things easier for us. It is not necessarily something we need, but something that makes our lives mor convenient. This allows us to become lazy. That's why I think electronics are so easy to get addicted to, because it makes things more managable in life even if it does not have to be.


Wikipedia
This is a wikipedia page on youtube about how it was created, and it goes into the social impact which I thought was the most interesting part. "YouTube made it possible for anyone with an Internet connection to post a video that millions of people could watch within a few minutes. The wide range of topics covered by YouTube has turned video sharing into one of the most important parts of Internet culture." So in addition to email and facebook and itunes etc. youtube is apart of the essentials to have on your computer.

My response to this is, it makes me wonder, is youtube really all that important, what kind of significance does it hold in my life or other people's lives? Personally, it really has not done very much for me, it has keeps me entertained when I go on youtube, but is it really important? Then I thought about Omar's blog, where he says that most things we do on the computer are pointless. In regards to youtube specifically, I agree. When you go on the computer, what is considered important for you? and why?

1 comment: