Monday, September 14, 2009

(HW3) Digital Unit Continued:

If digitalization is progress in society this means them more progress we make (in human civilization and technology), the more we drift away from what is real meaning in person face to face experiences. We substitute in person conversations with online IMs, facebook, twitter, texting, etc. It seems to be that it is easier to talk to people online (as I have heard from friends and experienced myself) so people will be more reluctant to communicating face to face. Then I wonder, because there are glitches and not everything in technology is perfect, we cannot always depend on computers to do everything for us perfectly. I feel like if the experiences are in person the flaws can be seen and fixed at the sight, whereas, computer problems leave more room for confusion. But if society continues to progress, I guess that elementary education for generations to come will learn how to use recent technology (while they are learning to read and to do early math) to avoid confusion in the future.

I also notice that in video games, as time has progresses the graphics for gaming becomes better and better, looking more realistic. "Good graphics," generally, are supposed to look real . The electronic media tries to imitate reality because that is what the consumer expects and wants to see. Again, drifting away from reality but towards virtual realities. Also including 3-d movies, trying to make the audience feel like they are in the movie. I feel like eventually, everything will be replaced with computers and technology, we won't know what is natural and what's been created by humans.

Possibly connecting to a typical American's busy schedule, since we cannot fit in real experiences such as, going to visit a family member, or just doing physical activity, into our daily schedules of working, we replace these experiences with game systems, movies, phone calls, text messages, and online connection that can all be installed into our own homes. Because working class Americans have to be busy all the time in order to sustain themselves in society, they will either claim they don't have time or actually don't have time to actually go to a gym to work out or to the park to play a sport. I believe that in most cases, its a result of laziness, why go outside when I can do whatever I need to at home.

I've also noticed that now most things we do in our spare time are through technology (or will be). Most teenagers I know in America, spend lots of their time online, talking to people through Facebook or Im, music is now digitally bought through itunes (and they closed Virgin records, I was a little upset about that), and now there's a technological thing for books, im not sure what its called but you upload books as files onto this portable device and you can read from it. I personally like to read straight from the book, it feels real to me, I don't even really like reading off the computer screen too much. But because I have accepted technology for what it is, I just adapt to is just like most Americans, I don't think that's the best choice but its an easy one. Going against it, that's the hard part, what can be done to avoid a totally technological society?

2 comments:

  1. To Sandy G.
    After reading your post I realized that technology is much more around us than what I thought.
    It is a great post and I really got something from it. You are very clear and I understand your point of view on Americans using technology.

    From your post I understand that as a civilized human being it is inevitable to avoid the use of technology. Because of its current availability it is very easy to be consumed by it. Digital music, twitter, facebook, texting, etc. are awfully attracting, specially to young people. Therefore we choose to substitute any type of real interaction or physical activity with all this fascinating technology. It is categorized in such way because of the mayor improvements that have been done throughout the years. As a result it is now harder to distinguish the difference between reality and the virtual world. As we continue to progress technologically we continue to lose ourselves into it by drifting away from reality.

    When you said "I also notice that in video games, as time has progresses the graphics for gaming becomes better and better, looking more realistic. "Good graphics," generally, are supposed to look real " It reminds me of my own experience with video games during my childhood. For example, I used to play the sims when I was little. It was a very fascinating game because I saw it as the "life" I did not have. Although the graphics were not that good compared to the ones in the sims 3, which came out recently, I still considered it as real. And even now with better graphics I can experience the same thing I did before. Which brings me back to one of your main points, which is, that as society develops technologically we continue to forget what was real before and what it is real now.

    I agree with your point of view on the use of this technology. However, if you are making a point demonstrating that what you are saying is valid and represents society, then I suggest you to use additional information from a book or a reliable site that supports your ideas. This would not only expand your perspective but it would also represent that your idea is a reasonable concept on what we are currently experiencing. You could also consider adding examples of how your life is affected by using this technology. For example, you mentioned facebook and twitter, then you could add how you personally feel about them despite if they are identified as wrong. And also what are the advantages and disadvantages of using these communication methods based on your own experience.

    Based on your post, I mainly realized that going against technology would only cause me not to be able to adapt to the current society. This is because we identify society as a technological society. It is indeed easier to choose the use of technology. However as you said it is not the best choice. I consider technology as one of the worst and greatest inventions of all times. I do find great advantages as well as disadvantages. But in my opinion, reasonable speaking this development is becoming out of control. We will not stop using technology. We cannot stop using technology. We do not have enough motivation to stop; and as an answer to your question "what can be done to avoid a totally technological society?" My answer would be "no much"

    I really want to thank you for writing this post. It did not only make me think about certain things I did not consider before, but I learnt more about you. If you do add something to your current post, I would like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinorah- Thanks for such specific feedback, it made me feel like you really thought about what I said in my post.

    Your suggestion about using more evidence from books or websites, or even my own personal experience is helpful, I agree that it will allow me to expand my perspective. I also have noticed that my blog, in comparison to other blogs, has very few personal experiences that would benefit my arguments, I will remember that for my next post.

    In your response to my question, "What can be done to avoid a totally technological society?" you said, "Not Much," I feel like this is a common answer that will come from most Americans because we all seem to have a 'go with the flow' sort of attitude and that sort of 'everybody else is doing it' response to the new technologies and we feel like we have to keep up with everything that is going digitally. Its easier to get sucked into the latest technology then rebel against it if one feels the need to be accepted in society.

    Also in response to you answering my question, I personally would like to believe that there is something we can do, at least for ourselves to still be able to experience real and natural things instead of being stuck in front of a computer all day. I have more of an optimistic view of possibilities for the future. While you, simply say it cannot be done which may be a more realistic view of it because we are so easily amused by the latest digital product and it would be too difficult to prevent the world from getting addicted to new technologies.

    We both seem to notice how the new technologies are becoming more like real life, like how you noticed about the Sims game you played as a kid. This is meaningful because with this we can predict what this will lead to.

    Thanks, Sandy

    ReplyDelete